August Primate

The August Primate Universe is an experimental interconnected world for new characters of the Public Domain. The main objective is to build a living breathing fictional universe that absolutely anyone can use and add to, at no cost whatsoever.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Best of my nerd addictions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Courtright
Private

Number of posts : 18
Personage : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Best of my nerd addictions   Mon May 04, 2009 2:12 pm

Ok, so which of my nerd addictions do you think was the best. It could be judged in terms of how much you enjoy the subject yourself, how much fun you had making fun of me for it, or some other arbitrary criteria.

Your choices are:

When I was addicted to Magic: The Gathering.
When I was addicted to comic books.
When I was addicted to Diablo 2.
When I was addicted to World of Warcraft
When I was addicted to meth.
When I was Catholic.

Which ever one is selected will be the one I choose to relapse on next.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SimianAngel
Admin

Number of posts : 116
Personage : 2
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Best of my nerd addictions   Mon May 04, 2009 2:26 pm

Courtright wrote:
When I was Catholic.

I'm going to debate the nerdiness of being Catholic. It's not very cool, certainly, but nerdy? Maybe I'm being prejudiced when I believe that most nerds are pretty big fans of rational thought and scientific reasoning.
Anytime I try and picture the ideal nerd, I see Spock™ in glasses.
Faith just ain't logical, my friend.

As far as which I think is best?
I'm partial to Comic Books, myself.

Private

PostSubject: Re: Best of my nerd addictions   Mon May 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Well I originally put that (and meth) up as a joke, but I'm going to make an argument for it because otherwise I'd just have to spend my day actually working.

If you view the Christian mythology as just that, a mythology like you would find in any fantasy setting, then I think you could easily label those who are interested in it as "nerds." If I sat around all day reading books about the Norse gods or Tolkien novels, I'd definitely be a nerd. If I sat here and swore until I was blue in the face that hobbits were real, then that would make me a HUGE nerd.

So the religious are really just a bunch of nerds... many with an unhealthy amount of nerd rage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SimianAngel
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best of my nerd addictions   Mon May 04, 2009 3:04 pm

You make a great point, but overlook a vital difference.
The fantasy-addled nerd is by his nature alone in his argument, while the Catholics have the acceptance of their community. If you viewed the world stage as a high school, they are truly the William Tennent Wrestling Team, complete with homoerotic hazing.

Private

PostSubject: Re: Best of my nerd addictions   Mon May 04, 2009 3:26 pm

I actually came to this same conclusion while you were replying. I figured if I was trying to argue who is a nerd, then I should probably try to define what is nerd. The definition I came up with was "anyone who has an interest in something that goes beyond socially acceptable limits." Thresholds of acceptance vary based on topic:

•Any interest at ALL in Magic: TG makes you a nerd.
•Comics are alright if you stay within the confines of X-Men, Spiderman, and Batman. Stray too far from those and you're a nerd.
•Sports have a very high threshold but if you spend every moment of every day memorizing baseball stats... you're a nerd.

So my argument for the religious being nerds fails my own definition as you would virtually have to come off insane before passing the socially acceptable limits.

My definition, however, still needs some work because as it is now, pedophiles get lumped in with us nerds… and I’d prefer that not be the case.

Last edited by Courtright on Mon May 04, 2009 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typographical Error)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SimianAngel
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best of my nerd addictions   Tue May 05, 2009 11:00 am

I whipped this up in like 3 minutes, and it's woefully oversimplified, but suits our discussion here.

Here I demonstrate that while we share a number of characteristics with serial murderers, rapists, and pedophiles; we are actually many steps removed from them. Important and distinctive steps, at that.
While looking at the lot of us 'weirdos' from a 'normal' perspective, it may be more difficult to make the distinction, but I feel comfortable in stating that we are not even remotely connected to pedophiles. Well, not as a rule anyway.
Nothing states that one can't belong to both groups, and I've certainly had a measure of suspicion towards nerds I've met before.

PostSubject: Re: Best of my nerd addictions   Today at 5:01 am

Back to top Go down

Best of my nerd addictions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1